Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Why The Hell Am I Keeping This Blog?

This Is My Motivation:

I've been getting good responses on this Fresno Music Scene Blog. When I'm at a show, people will say, "Hey, Mitch. I've been reading your blog. I like it. It's funny." And I'll say, "Cool. Thanks." It's nice to know people are enjoying it.

Basically, the reason I'm keeping this blog is because it's fun. I've been going to local "indie" shows around here for about two years now. So I figured, hey why not keep a blog about them? It feels so good to be able to say WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT about the music around here. It's very liberating.

But just because I say something doesn't mean it's right. Remember that. All this is just my observation and opinion (which I think is pretty damn good.)

Here's the plan: to keep writing about shows and different people involved with the Fresno music scene. I may also throw in random things here and there. But I'll try to keep it Fresno-related. I'm also planning to conduct short Question & Answer (Q&A) interviews various local bands. (If you're in a band and interested in this, contact me*)

*If you'd like to contact me but don't have a MySpace account, e-mail me at mitchonspeed@gmail.com

From time to time, I may ask people to write "guest blogs" for me. It's nice to have a well-rounded view of what other people think too. Not just me. That would get boring, right? (If you think you have something worthwhile to say about the Fresno music scene, contact me.)

More importantly, I want this blog to reach people in Fresno who may not know too much about what's happening in the local music scene. It would be cool to bring people together. I mean, I don't know EVERYTHING that's going on here, but I know a little. If you or one of your friends has a cool band, let me know about it. I'm anxious to hear. When possible, I'd also like to help promote upcoming shows.

Most of the local shows I go to have pretty small crowds, which disappoints me. I'm hoping people will read this blog and (hopefully) be inspired to go out more often. I will not use the expression "support your local music scene" because I don't like it. You can use it if you want, though. I just don't see the point in that statement. A person should go to a concert because they like music, not just to support the scene. It just sounds weird to me.

So yeah, that's about it. We'll see what happens. Hopefully I don't get bored and quit after a month. Ha! Oh yeah, subscribe to this blog so you can receive updates automatically.

Background Info On Me: I used to be a DJ at Fresno State's KFSR 90.7-FM. They called me "Mitch on Speed." I finished school. Now I write for a living about music biz-related stuff. I've also been known to dabble in freelance music writing for various magazines and Web sites. But forget about all of that. Here's the biggest thing you need to know about me: I love music. It's my life. Well, a big part of it, at least.

No comments: