Monday, October 24, 2005

Fresno, Then and Now.

As some of you may already know, I've recruited a few guest bloggers. Now, when I say "recruited," what I mean is that I've specifically asked these people to write something because I know they have something inciteful to say about the Fresno music scene. But don't wait for an invitation from me; If you want to write a guest blog, e-mail your idea to: mitchonspeed@gmail.com.

Now, back to business. This next guest blog is from a guy who (for the time being) wants to call himself Percival Sweetwater. Of course, that's not his real name. But if one so desires, I will respect their anonymity. I've known Percival for a little more than a year now. He's become a respected friend.

I wanted a blog that compared Fresno's current music scene to that of approximately 20 years ago. Percival thrived in the "scene" back in those days. Here's what he has to say.


Guest blogger: Percival Sweetwater

[Mitch on Speed] asked an old man to write about the local music scene, then and now. I’m the old man. I’m 39.

I doubt you’ve met me. I normally don’t go to live shows. It’s like six bucks a lot of times, which is more than a beer. Other bars you start drinking right away.

I’ve stood outside a lot of places over the years. I stood outside the Olympic Tavern and the Wild Blue in 1983. I was in the parking lot of the Knights of Columbus in 1986. I walked by Club Fred, and stood in the little entranceway of the Starline two years ago. And I’ve spent many a night chatting it up with Chip out in front of Tokyo Garden.

Comparing then and now is like comparing a Fiero to an Aries. Don’t get me wrong. There’s been moments where Fresno’s music scene was so popular and vibrant that it elevated to Bakersfield level.

Yet, both eras have good bands. There was Capitol Punishment (never saw ‘em), The Mockers (ditto), The Clams (see note for "The Mockers"), BEDS, Trojan Country Club, Similar Animals and the amazing Let’s Go Bowling, which played ska just about the same time as ska was a movement. It was probably the best band in Fresno. Maybe the Mockers; others swear they were awesome. Oh, and my former roomies in Neanderthals and Circus Bogus had really good bands.

But then again, some things never change. Man, you should have seen the crap that got Saturday nights back then.

Anyway, this is my point: Back then, if you wanted to see a good band, your best bet was the all-ages show. The kids were ushering authentic stuff, pushing aside Fresno’s usual fare of carbon copy by the numbers bands. It’s the same story right now.

Recently I saw a great little band called No Cello, which charmed me with its originality. And there was a band called Riverwood (I think) that opened up for a band called Ben & The Dolphins or something at Club Fred. And I’ve been noticing more stuff online that references new music. There’s this website called Fresno Famous that mentioned Sufjan Stevens, and the reference to something current made me fill my drawers with joy. And a lot of people in Fresno go online and look at that Pitchfork magazine. There’s something comforting in knowing I’m officially a dork and you guys are cool.

Of course there is the occasional* show that doesn’t draw, but that’s to be expected around here.

But here’s the real reason why I don’t go to shows and it’s not because of the money: Just like back then, many bands in Fresno are not professional. And I don’t mean suit & tie stuff. I mean they play far too loud for the tiny room, or they start an hour late or play past their allotted time. Sometimes they’ll tell everyone they’re playing early and then at the last second negotiate for a later slot, compromising their friends’ evenings. Screw you.

I’ve walked out on at least four shows before they started because the bands waited for the "crowd" to show up. As a farmer once said, "Just because only a few cows showed up at milkin’ time, you think I’m not gonna milk ‘em?"

Maybe these new folks will be better than Bakersfield, start on time, end on time, play at the right volume and create spirited, inspired music that can be embraced by those as far away as Vacaville and Calwa.

(*each Friday)

No comments: